Sunday, March 16, 2008

Want to Learn About Peak Oil? Read This

Of all of the impending catastrophes facing us today, Peak Oil is the most immediate and most potentially destructive. James Howard Kuntzler's "The Long Emergency" opened my eyes to just how serious this issue is. Kuntzler's blog "Clusterfuck Nation" is one I've linked to from this site and contains weekly updates on the themes he outlines in the book.

I've included my Amazon.com review of the book below:


Before reading "The Long Emergency," I had only a vague notion of the implications of Peak Oil. Thanks to Mr. Kuntzler, I now realize exactly how dangerous the situation is. Do I necessarily believe that things are going to play out exactly as he describes? Of course not. Speculative writing is always just that, an educated guess. What I am certain of as a result of reading this book is that some variation of the future it outlines is going to play out.

What was most eye-opening was the discussion of so-called alternative fuels. Most people seem to believe that the free market will take care of itself by developing replacements for oil, coal and natural gas with little disruption to our way of life. Kuntzler painstakingly demonstrates why this is a dangerous fantasy. For that alone, the book is worth reading.

One word for those who say Kuntzler is too much of a pessimist. His vision of the future is actually more positive than that of some Peak Oil theorists who believe that it will be a (human) extinction event. Kuntzler believes the world's population will merely return to pre-industrial levels (about one billion), and that this will eventually mean a return to locally based economies. Admittedly this shows a bit of a hippie mentality on his part, but it in no way detracts from his overall message.

4 comments:

beebs said...

We're in deep kimchi on peak oil. My congresscritters write me soothing letters about how "alternative" energy is being developed.

I know they are wrong, and it sickens me.

Bill Lenoir said...

Brian, get out of my head! You're reading things that are sitting in my "To Read" pile.

You might also want to check out The Geography of Nowhere: The Rise and Decline of America's Man-Made Landscape by James Howard Kunstler

bdrube said...

beebs: They are trying to prevent a panic. Unfortunately, when reality sets in for the average person I fear it will not be pretty.

bdrube said...

bill: what can I say? Great minds think alike!